When To Choose High Voltage or Low Voltage LED Strip Lights?
In recent times, the luminary market has seen a significant turn towards LED strip lights, attributed to their flexibility in application across residential and commercial spaces. A common point of deliberation among prospective buyers is the choice between high voltage and low voltage LED strip lights, given their distinct features and advantages. This article aims to demystify the differences between these two categories, providing a structured insight to help you make an informed decision based on the specifics of your project.
LED strip lights primarily fall into two voltage categories: High Voltage (110 volts or above) and Low Voltage (24 volts or below). The choice of voltage type should align with the scale, nature, and aesthetic aspirations of your project.
1. High Voltage LED Strip Lights
- Operating Voltage: High-voltage LED strips function on standard household voltages of 110V or 220V, making them a plug-and-play option for many commercial and industrial settings. It is also sometimes called driverless strip light due to this reason as it doesn’t require a transformer to power the light.
- Extended Run Length: One of the significant advantages of high voltage LED strip lights is their ability to maintain brightness over long runs without experiencing voltage drop, making them a suitable choice for large-scale illumination projects. GL LED single color 120V strip light can run up to 100ft, and neon light can run up to 150ft, with a single power supply.
- Cost Efficiency: High voltage strip lights present cost-saving opportunities as they do not require a separate driver/transformer, simplifying installation process. Therefore, they can provide savings in both material and labor costs.
- Safety Consideration: Due to the higher voltage, particular caution is required during installation. Utilizing conduits for wires is a standard safety protocol to prevent any accidents. GL LED provides customized 120V LED strip lights, and we craft and deliver ready to plug-in strip light products tailored to customers’ requirements on lengths and connections.
- Dimmer Compatibility: High voltage LED strip lights have relatively limited compatibility with dimmers, compared to low voltage counterparts. They typically work with only a single dimming method. GL LED 120V strip lights are compatible with ELV dimmers.
- Channel Compatibility: Compatible aluminum channels for high voltage LED strip lights are limited compared to those for low voltage strip lights. Therefore, they are more preferred for indirect lighting applications where the strip light itself is not visible.
- Physical Dimensions: Generally bulkier in size, high voltage strip lights are often used for applications where space is not limited.
- Application Range: With the features mentioned, high voltage LED strip lights are an ideal solution for large-scale, long-distance commercial and industrial projects, with indirect lighting for both indoor and outdoor applications.
2. Low Voltage LED Strip Lights
- Operating Voltage: Low-voltage LED strip lights operate on DC12V or DC24V, working at significantly lower voltages which require a transformer to step down the voltage.
- Model Variety: There is a broader spectrum of models available in low voltage strip lights. GL LED provides a wide range of low voltage strip lights, such as COB, Dim to Warm, Side Bend, along with our popular ECO, PRO and LEGEND strip light models, to cater to unique lighting requirements.
- Channel and Controller Options: Low voltage strip lights work with different types of aluminum channels, providing a substantial degree of versatility in fixture appearance and lighting effects. GL LED offers an extensive selection of extrusions for different applications.
- Installation Flexibility: The lower operating voltage translates to less stringent installation requirements, making it a safer and more flexible option, especially for DIY projects. GL LED provides convenient installation tools, accessories, and instructions to help with a hassle-free set up.
- Control and Dimming: Low voltage strip lights are compatible with many different dimming methods, such as Triac, ELV, 0-10V, PWM, etc. With a wide variety of controllers and dimmers available, low voltage strip lights allow for precise control over light intensity, color temperature, enabling the creation of diverse ambiances and moods. GL LED provides compatible drivers and controllers to work with low voltage LED strip lights.
- Application Range: They are versatile in application, suitable for task, ambient, outdoor, and landscaping lighting, among others, providing a comprehensive solution for various lighting needs. GL LED has provided our low voltage LED strip lights for many residential, commercial, hospitality, educational, as well as industrial applications.
Choosing between high voltage and low voltage LED strip lights depends on various factors such as the scope and type of your project, the degree of customization and control needed, and your budget. A thorough assessment of each voltage type's distinct features in line with your project’s particular demands and aesthetic desires will guide you to a lighting solution that not only fulfills functional needs but also elevates the visual attraction of your space, illuminating it with accuracy and elegance.